What does leadership mean to you and how do you define it?
- Inspiring a group of people to come together, align objectives, and give their very best to accomplish a set of goals.
- Steering the ship, staying calm, and alleviating team members’ concerns.
- Being prepared and having foresight.
- Being genuine.
What is the most important lesson you have learned, from your personal or business life?
Measure risks quickly, but don’t over-analyse things, and believe in yourself.
Is there someone who has had a major impact on you as a leader?
Me. I admire the traits of many others and learn from them.
Have you experienced failure? If so, what did you learn?
Yes. Failure is not permanent. You will always rise again. Have a 360-degree vision. Opportunities come at random. It would help if you worked hard to seize them.
Who do you admire in the business world and why?
- HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. His vision, leadership, and accomplishments are second to none.
- Warren Buffet. His consistency in getting it right and making money over many decades speaks for itself.
- Elon Musk. His businesses are revolutionary; failure never sets him back. Constantly challenges conventional wisdom.
- Richard Branson. He built an enduring empire around one main asset, a name: Virgin
- There are others, of course.
What advice would you offer to new or aspiring board directors?
- Prepare well before your meetings: read, research, and take notes.
- Don’t be afraid to ask bold questions and voice your ideas and concerns, even if it means being out-voted.
- Read the minutes of meetings carefully and propose amendments before publication.
If you were able to run one company, apart from your own business, which would you choose and why?
Intriguing question. Any retail company would do. I can think of many in different industries. Aside from this, here is one – Lamborghini. It’s an iconic brand that produces fantastic cars and inspires successful dream catchers. A Lamborghini car is a technological marvel, a work of art, a symbol of success, and an enduring asset that appreciates over time. I would love to take it back and make it succeed in Formula 1. Cars and racing is one of my passions.
Free leadership insights weekly